Programmes Under Street Families
In March, 2003 the government through gazette notice No. 1558 established the Street Families Rehabilitation Trust Fund (SFRTF).
Programmes of the fund are aimed towards:
- Coordinating Rescue, Rehabilitation and Reintegration activities for Street Families;
- Partnering with other organizations that provide rehabilitation activities for Street Families;
- Conducting public education on Street Families issues;
- Mobilizing resources and fundraising as well as receiving donations and funding rehabilitation activities to Street Families;
- Managing all donations for the rehabilitation of Street Families through a trust fund;
- Monitoring expenditure and disbursement of all donations; and
- Initiating creation of Local Chapters at county level.
With the existence of the Draft National Policy on Street Families, the government of Kenya through the SFTRFT (in the Ministry of Devolution and ASALs) has continued to collaborate with non-governmental organizations, private sector, faith based organizations, community based groups and development partners to offer support to Street Families all over the country.