This integrated programme is designed to support the implementation of devolved system of government to achieve improved governance and socio-economic development in Kenya. This intervention is derived from the UN Delivering as One, UN Strategy on Devolution and further guided by the Government’s MTPs process. It is meant to transition to a Joint UN Programme.
The programme contribute to UNDAF Outcome 1.3 and Country Project Document(CPD) Outcome 2 on devolution and accountability namely: By 2017, Kenya enjoys a participatory devolution process that is well understood by stakeholders, adequately coordinated and equitably resourced for the delivery of accessible and quality services; devolved institutions are legally, financially and technically empowered, well managed, effective, accountable; and resource management is transparent, equitable, effective and efficient at all levels.
The key result areas of the programme include:
- Strengthened policy and legal framework for devolved governance;
- Strengthened and aligned capacities at national and county levels;
- Enhanced service delivery mechanisms and resilience for disaster risk management, peace building and conflict prevention;
- Strengthened citizen engagement in devolved governance; and
- Integrated service delivery demonstrated in select counties.
The programme is organized around five pillars with the following outputs:
- Policies, laws and institutional reforms for effective implementation of the Constitution at national and county levels are adopted
- Strengthened institutional and human capacities at national and county level evident in supporting national and local development
- Improved service delivery mechanisms and response to opportunities and threats of insecurity and disaster
- Strengthened citizen participation mechanisms and processes to ensure effective and equitable service delivery, transparent and accountable use of resources
- An integrated service delivery framework pilot implemented
Counties Receiving Direct Support
The project supports the following 21 counties: Bungoma, Busia, Elgeyo Marakwet, Embu, Homa Bay, Kajiado, Kericho, Kilifi, Kirinyaga, Kisumu, Kitui, Kwale, Laikipia, Marsabit, Nakuru, Narok, Nyeri, Samburu, Taita Taveta, Turkana and Vihiga.